The basic military course is an introduction to the activities that armed forces recruits are put through during initial or basic training. Prior to attending basic training our potential recruits are given a physical training preparation pack to give them the best chance of meeting the physical demands of the training that they are about to undertake. It is advised but not essential that prior to attending our basic course that you are capable of doing a minimum of the following body weight exercises (if you are unsure of the exercises there are plenty of excellent videos now available on YouTube that demonstrate these exercises using the correct technique or form). Demonstrations and guidance using the correct exercise form are given prior to commencing and throughout any physical activities.
10 Press ups (if necessary these can be done from the knees)
10 Sit ups (military variation)
Run 1.5 miles (2.4Km) run in 16 minutes or under.
Comfortably walk 4 miles carrying 15 lbs in a daysack over undulating terrain.
Kit and Equipment
You are required to bring the following items of kit (clothing) and equipment with you for the day:
- Day sack (35litre).
- Waterproof Daysack liner.
- Water Proof Jacket.
- Waterproof Trousers.
- Walking socks x 2 pairs
- Fleece/lightweight down jacket/buffalo.
- Base layer (ideally wicking material) T shirt/ polo or thermal top x 2
- Walking trousers x2 pairs
- Underwear x2
- Warm fleece or wool hat
- Water bottle/ Camelback 2litre (this can be 2x 1 litre bottles).
- Steele Flask.
- Knife Fork and Spoon (KFS)
- Mug (ideally metal or plastic so not to get broken).
- Running shoes.
- Walking boots (worn in not worn out).*
- PT Kit (Top, shorts/leggings and socks).
- A sense of humour-ESSENTIAL!!
Walking boots will be inspected by the course directing staff (DS) for suitability.*
Due to the course being ran predominantly outside and due to the nature of the weather around the Derbyshire Peak district it is essential that all items on the kit list are brought by participants. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us as we are happy to help!